Monday, February 10, 2014

Cleaning the Homestead and Warrior Boys

I don't know why I'm excited about this, but I am.

I was recently introduced to Radiantly You, by a friend. I try to be conscientious of what I clean with in the home, keep poisons and toxins out. I bought some products to try, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. In the mean time, I made some of my own tub scrub, since I had the same ingredients on hand at home. I don't know the correct proportions for their formula, and I don't know the consistency of their formula, that was the one product I didn't look at the party. However, I winged it. Here's what I made, and I probably won't make it again because it was a pain in the butt (which is why I will buy the product next time!):

1 C Baking Soda
1 C Super Washing Soda
Approx 1 C Castile Soap (I used what was left in my bottle of Dr. Bronner's Almond)
Approx 2 Tbsp Young Living Thieves Household Cleaner (again, what was left in the bottle)
Filtered Water to make it into a thick paste consistency

It worked miracles on my shower stall, the ring around the tub, and the make-up left behind on my unstained wooden step stool that I had since I was a child.

Oh, I haven't told the story of how my children made themselves into warriors as I was trying to get a few extra winks Sunday morning.

Boys, I am immortalizing this story, mostly because I did NOT have a complete freak-out and this was a HUGE step for me.

Saturday night I went to a friend's house, with the boys for a direct sales launch party. I decided to put on some make upto help myself feel good when meeting friends and new people. I was in a rush to get out of the house on time, so I don't put my makeup away. {I left the bag on the counter, and I left it open.}
That night I had insomnia after little Edmund woke at 1:30am, I was able to get him back to sleep immediately, but finally got back to sleep around 4am. He then wakes up at 5:30am. I try to convince him to go back to sleep because it is still night. I doze in and out, extremely groggy, and hear the two boys playing nicely, then they say they have to go potty, and they both pee together. I hear Peter trying to get a new diaper onto Edmund, I think it's funny in my drowsy state and I also think all is well. When I finally wake up because I was called to wipe a butt from someone who pooped on the potty but won't wipe himself, I find the reason they were playing so nicely. 
They found said make up bag. 
Both boys had become warriors with ALL my makeup save my compact, some blush and two containers of Clinique eye shadow. 
I never thought I would be trying to get lipstick out if my son's shirt collar at the precious age of two. I should have taken a picture, but I was too much in a hurry to get the boys contained, the floors, cabinets, toilets, counter tops, door knobs, sink handles, foot stools, throw rugs, decorative towels (body, hand, and finger tip towels) clean. My mind was raging, but I was able to contain my anger. 
Deep cleansing breath. Big cup of coffee after the event, and trying to say a rosary. Eep
So much mascara, blush, red tinted lip gloss and lipstick in so many places...all over their entire face including eye lids, in the crevices of the top parts of their ears, backs of hands, up their forearms, back of necks, all down their thighs, knees, calves, ankles, tops of feet. All my Clinique and Mary Kaye lipstick (well, it was only three tubes of lipstick, but it was all I had - I'm not huge into makeup) and some bright red lip tint and shine that was yummy peppermint flavored. Needless to say they got a rather uncomfortable lukewarm bath. I wasn't in the mood for giving them their typical a fun, warm bubble bath with toys, but I wasn't going to torture them with cold water like my inner demon suggested. (Right now I am VERY grateful that my irritability and anger are able to be contained with medication. Without it, I don't want to know what could have happened - I am praising God for this) They did get a comfortably warm rinse off.

So, this new tub scrub that I made today not only got the lip stain/gloss and mascara out of the wood from the foot stool, it also took the year old rust stain off the bench of my shower! I was super stoked for that.

To clean I used a scrub brush and a rag from the FlyLady's rags in a bag (I splurged last year before we moved trying to get things clean that weren't getting clean with the rags I had) for the places where my scrub brush couldn't go.

* Please note that I receive no compensation from any links posted, I am just trying to share what I use and what works for me, and help those who I got help from!

No comments:

Post a Comment